MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials that have attracted much attention lately, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in lots of fields. This is a comprehensive overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material consisting of M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, such as titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the key group elements, like aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is made up of M, A, X, the 3 elements of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Due to their electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they are popular in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding along with other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is a new kind of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, composed of three elements with all the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M means the transition metal, A refers back to the main-group elements, and X refers to the aspects of C and/or N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained from the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAXenes and MXenes are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials composed of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Applications of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have a wide range of applications in structural materials. For example, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which can be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials can also be used in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and may be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. In addition, some MAX materials likewise have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be utilized in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be utilized in energy materials. For example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one in the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials really are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, similar to the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, as well as a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation strategies for MXene materials usually are the etching treatment of the MAX phase as well as the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties such as electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics can be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials consisting of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, such as high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., as well as good chemical stability and the cabability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and they are commonly used in energy storage and conversion. For instance, MXene materials bring electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials could also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to enhance the action and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be used in electromagnetic protection. For instance, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, along with other applications in electronic products and personal protection, enhancing the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be utilized in sensing and detection. For instance, MXene materials bring gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which can realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics along with other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. In the future, using the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the increasing demand for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application areas of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. The following aspects could become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Later on, new preparation technologies and methods could be further explored to realize a much more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, there is however still room for further optimization. Down the road, the composition, structure, surface treatment along with other elements of the material could be studied and improved thorough to enhance the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have been widely used in numerous fields, but you may still find many potential application areas to get explored. Later on, they can be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection along with other fields.
In summary, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a broad application prospect in lots of fields. Using the continuous progress of science and technology as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.